Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day 3

Do you know any other circumstances of your birth (who was present, who delivered you, etc.)?
Marsha: Dr. Baum delivered -- his wife Daisy Lou was somewhere close and his daughters Barbara and Beverly were helping out in the nursery. They went straight to school and told my sister Barbara, who was miffed, that they knew/saw me before she was able to. My middle name is in honor of the Dr.'s wife who was a friend of my mother's. (Amy taking -- Mom, was your dad present at your birth? At the hospital at least, if not in the room?)
Don: I was delivered by Dr. Fowler. My father was serving in the Royal Canadian army as a field engineer at the time of my birth, and was overseas (WW II was raging). My mother sent a telegram to my father in England. The man who received the telegram leaned out the window (I guess my dad was outside the office) and yelled, "It's a stem winder", obviously that is some sort of slang for a boy! !

1 comment:

President and Sister Livingstone said...

Amy--sorry, I can't figure out how to add things to this blog, so you are going to just have to work with us for awhile. We leave tomorrow morning and will be in SOuth Africa for 11 days. I will try to check in every once in awhile while there.
Regarding Dad and his birth, He was delivered by Dr. Fowler in St. Michael's Hospital in Lethbridge, Alberta Canada. Grandma sent a telegram to Grandpa in England. THe man who received the telegram leaned out the window (I guess Grandpa was outside the office) and yelled, "It's a stem winder". I don't know exactly what that means, but obviously it is some sort of slang for a boy! ! And sorry, I don't have any photos over here. You will have to wait until I get home for that--or have Kendra take the little memory book that Grandma gave to me when we were married (It's with all the scrapbooks in the family room it's small and white with black pages). Grandma took LOTS of photos (actually, I think it was probably Uncle Hugh that took a lot of them) to send to Grandpa in ENgland, so we have a wonderful collection of photos for dad as a small child.